With all the hype of online marketing and social media these days, it’s easy to overlook some of the simple tried-and-true offline marketing methods that have worked in the past and still work today.
Flyers can work really well at spreading the work about your event or attracting new customers – as long as they are done the right way. As far as advertising goes, printed promotions are not out – it’s just that bad flyers were never in. And those are unfortunately what we see the most.
10 Great flyers can be more effective than 1,000 bad ones, so if you’re going to spend the time and money on printing up leaflets or brochures – why not invest in one that bring you customers and make you money?
Clothing swaps are a great way to attract the attention of all of your towns stylish scavengers plus get them to gather in one place. If you are looking for a way to increase your sales and start a word of mouth marketing campaign at the same time why not plan a used and vintage clothing exchange.
What you do is:
- first plan a date that will work
- set up place where people can bring in clothes and exchange out clothes.
You can have it either at your shop or you could hold the even somewhere else. There are benefits for having it at your shop, but it also takes a little more work making sure that your merchandise does not get mixed into the exchange. You see the basic premise is this.
Expect to plan a swapshop-style exchange with a unique collection of gently used, vintage & even some modern clothing, accessories & footwear.
Have everyone bring a bag and take a bag!
NOTE: The main focus is on women’s fashions, but men’s items should also be welcome (no kid’s clothing or toys).
Save-the-date & spread the word re: this eco-fab & economical event!
How the Clothing Exchange/Swap Works
Charge $6 for Advance/Early-Bird tickets + your swap loot (limited number avail.) & Charge $10 at the door
(+ a bag of gently used/vintage clothing)
Have everyone drop their clothing stash by a earlier date so that the items can be sorted.
Note: Tell those who contribute their loot in advance will be entered into a draw for a $50 store credit to get them motivated!
The following rules should be posted so that everyone is on the same page.
1. Participants are expected to contribute a minimum of 1 bag of decent cast-offs (8 to 10 items). Swap loot must be dropped off chosen date, in order to purchase a $6 advance ticket (vs. $10 at the door day-of).
2. No damaged or dirty items, only bring clean/decent quality clothing & accessories to the SWAP
3. Each participant can leave with 1 large tote or 2 grocery bags of wearables (a significant haul per person!). Bags will be provided.
1. All leftover items will be donated to chosen charity, which raises money for various social service programs.
2. A portion of the admission fee will benefit our chosen charity
Key Items to Swap:
- Tons of clothing, shoes, bags & accessories (incl. some vintage & maternity items)
- A table of fabric & craft supplies
- A few *new* indie designer gems hidden in the piles from our shop
What You Can Expect:
- clothing & accessories divided into categories (eg. tops, shoes, coats, etc.)
- a bit of chaos, but lots of fun too
- mirrors on-site, but no private change rooms, so please dress accordingly (wear leggings or layers)
DO BRING this kind of stuff:
~jackets ~ tops ~ sweaters ~ skirts ~ jeans ~ dresses ~ hats ~ scarves ~ bags ~ PJs ~ shoes & boots ~ belts ~ active wear ~ purses ~ pants
PLEASE DO NOT BRING:
~ home decor ~ books & mags ~ baby or kid stuff ~ furniture ~ toys
Plan for a good turn out. Get some snacks and even a few beverages for the event. Be sure to promote your shop and have fun!